Saturday, July 30, 2011

Notices following auditions

I went to an audition on Tuesday and have not yet heard anything. My experience has been that if I am not cast at the audition or within a couple of days thereafter, I can expect a thank-you-but-no-thank-you call or e-mail. So, at this point, I am expecting the worst, but I don't yet know. I swear that if I am ever a director, if casting takes more than a couple of days, I will send out an "I'm still thinking about those to be cast" e-mail followed by phone calls and a TYBNTY e-mail ASAP. Those who do not act do not realize that the days following an audition can be pure torture as the actors wait for the results. With social media, it can be worse as people start posting how they got parts...and you are still waiting for some sort of contact, which is what happened on the last audition before this one (where the director never did contact those of us who were not cast).

One of the women at the audition recognized me from another audition and asked if I had received a part in that play. When I said I hadn't, she expressed surprise, stating that she thought I was very good. Maybe I was, but I was undoubtedly too old/too tall/too short/too fat or otherwise not right for however the director envisioned the roles to be cast. I keep telling myself that talent is only part of the equation. A person might be the best actor in the world, but if he or or she does not meet the director's vision, he or she is unlikely to be cast.

No comments: