Friday, August 24, 2007

Absolute lunacy

I am going through old e-mail messages, choosing what should be kept and what should be deleted. Here is a portion of a message sent to my daughter on 8 June 2006, with the names of the theatre company, role, and play deleted:


I have decided that actors are crazy. Why would anyone put himself or herself through the audition process, then the rehearsal process, to spend a handful of evenings on stage? Absolute lunacy. You have to be able to handle rejection, knowing that sometimes it doesn't matter that you are the best actor who has auditioned if you don't fit the director's vision for the show. Sensible people do not subject themselves to a process that so often results in rejection or disappointment when you are not cast at all--or not cast in the role you want. Insane--actors have to be insane.

The latter paragraph is the result of the call I received concerning the ******. I know that it was the best audition I have ever had. The call was left on my voice mail that I am being offered the part of ****** in ******. Let's just say the disappointment was such that I didn't have the energy to take out the trash (or continue pulling the weeds in the backyard, which was supposed to be my project last night). I'm almost over it now and thinking ahead into what I can do with that role--a person who exemplifies how money can ruin lives. It will be challenging to do it well. I guess I can look on the bright side: at least I have lines, and memorization should not be difficult because I don't have too many of them.

As it turned out, I enjoyed the show because I was able to develop the character in a way I had never seen done before, be part of a crowd scene that was really a lot of fun, and work with very talented people.

No comments: